Monday, June 09, 2008

Where is Ayla?


Someone has left me a comment asking why there is nothing about Ayla, from Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear book and film, on this site.

Well, a very good question, Kayla (which sounds like a cavegirl name in itself - but also could mean you are an oil rig worker from one of the more remote areas that look at this blog-look at the map at the bottom!).

Kayla says "I mean...Ayla is tall, blonde, large breasted cavewoman. What more could you want?" This is true, although my personal taste in women runs to slim, athletic types with dark hair.

Jean M Auel's Earth's Children series is a sequence of novels set around (I think) 20,000 years ago. I put off reading the first one for many years as I had got it into my head that Jean Auel was actually a Frenchman (rather than a lady from Chicago) and I don't usually enjoy translated books as there always seems to be something stilted about them. I was, of course, confusing The Clan of the Cave Bear with Quest for Fire by J.-H. Rosny Aîné.

Well, facing one of my London to Los Angeles flights a couple of years ago I picked up The Clan of the Cave Bear at the airport and enjoyed it a lot. So much so that I bought all the other books in the series. Ms Auel famously knows her stuff when it comes to prehistoric techniques in such areas as weaving, tool-making and pharmacology (I am not able to judge on her descriptions of prehistoric sex, which are quite frank for a middle-aged lady). I have read The Valley of Horses and have nearly finished The Mammoth Hunters but these are big, dense books and you need time to do them justice; something I am usually short off except on long plane trips.

So where is our feisty heroine on these pages? The fact of the matter is that there are so many cavegirls and only so much time. I fully intend to feature Ayla in the future but I want to watch the film of The Clan of the Cave Bear first (featuring the appropriately statuesque Darryl Hannah).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Forget Ayla, where is Nova? (Linda Harrison in Planet of the Apes.) I'd think she has exactly the look you prefer.

-Nathaniel, San Francisco